Saturday, March 5, 2011

California Girls

During the end of February, Ava and I escaped from the cold and snow and headed to California to visit our friends. This was the first time Ava flew on an airplane, other than when she came home from China as a baby. She was SUPER excited and did a fabulous job! It was so delightful to share this special trip together. Doug and Hannah stayed behind, but they had their own fun. Doug took Hannah downhill skiing for the first time and she loved it!

We flew into Sacramento and then drove to Clovis and stayed with our friends for a few days. On the three hour drive to Clovis, I loved seeing the myriad of almond and orange trees and gorgeous flowers. Quite a switch from the snow piles we left behind. Ava slept most of the trip down but woke up in time for a stop at the iconic In-and-Out Burger. We were not disappointed. I think it was the best burger I've ever had.

Once we arrived in Clovis, we spent lots of time playing, eating, chatting, shopping, playing and eating some more. Karen was an amazing chef. I think I put on 10 pounds while I was there. :-) It was so awesome to watch Ava and Amy play together again. Ava and Amy are from the same orphanage in China. Our families traveled together to adopt our girls and have been dear friends ever since. These are the same friends that we went camping with in South Dakota last summer.

It was so great to meet some of Karen's family and to worship at the church where Al is a pastor, but the best part was just hanging out and watching the girls play together. The time past far too quickly and soon enough we had to head off to our next stop, which was visiting my aunt in Ripon. While we were visiting with my aunt Barb, I was able to see three of my cousins that I haven't seen in years and meet some of their children. I was also able to meet my aunt's boyfriend/manfriend :-). I always enjoy spending time with my aunt even if it's only for a quick visit.

Reluctantly, Ava and I headed back to Sacramento and flew home. I think both of us could have stayed a few more days. It was good to get home and see Hannah and Doug, though. Coming back to the snow and cold, not so much. At least Ava and I got to be California girls for a little while.










Ava standing on the street in Ripon that is named after her preschool teacher. Yes, it's a small world



No comments: