This time of year, I can't help but think of Robert Frost's poem Nothing Gold Can Stay and the professor who required I memorize it as a college sophomore. Since then, my dear professor passed away and I've learned the true meaning of the poem. I loved teaching this poem to my middle school students and having them write about a time in their lives when they learned that nothing gold can stay. This is for you, Professor Kuiper, and yes, I still have it memorized:
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
As leaf subside to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down today,
Nothing gold can stay.
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
As leaf subside to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down today,
Nothing gold can stay.



No comments:
Post a Comment