Monday, October 13, 2008

A Beautiful Weekend

This weekend, we made the most of the wonderful weather we've been having! We hauled out the summer clothes again and had loads of fun. I think I could get used to 70-80 degree days in October, but I'm sure I would start to miss the typical cool autumn weather... eventually. :-)

Our weekend started with watching Hannah and other grade school students cheer at a high school football game. Hannah was involved in the Junior Cheer Clinic at Christian High. The culmination of the clinic was cheering at a home football game. I think there were about 130 kids that took part. It was so fun to watch Hannah - she had a blast!

On Saturday we stopped at our friend Bill's to celebrate his 50th birthday. He is a friend of Doug's from his college days and he is battling lung cancer. It was good to see him and celebrate this milestone.

Afterwards, we headed to Hannah's favorite park. We enjoyed the playground and did lots of laughing. There is something about a playground that makes me feel like a big kid. My favorite thing is still swinging way up high on a swing and trying to "touch the sky with my feet." Ava prefers to sit on my lap and swing with me and Hannah tries to catch us. Ava really got the hang of climbing up the stairs and going down the big curly slide on her own. She was so delighted with herself. She just giggled and giggled - and so did we! For supper we ate at one of our favorite restaurants by a nearby lake. The girls had fun watching the ducks and we enjoyed the beautiful array of colors surrounding the lake.

On Sunday after church, we headed for a day at the beach. It was a perfect beach day! We enjoyed walking along the beach, playing in the sand and even getting in the water a bit. Doug and Hannah went in the farthest - brave souls. I thought the water was freezing so getting my feet wet was enough for me. I can remember a year ago when we also went to the beach in October. Ava didn't want to put her feet down in the sand or water and she kept eating the sand. What a difference a year makes! This year she freely roamed the beach (sometimes a bit too freely) and she loved the sand and water. She still might have eaten some sand but not on purpose. :-)

We were sad to see the weekend come to an end. This morning it was back to reality - school and work. I will post some pictures from our weekend, but it will have to wait until tomorrow since I'm off to bed.

No comments: