
Tonight proved once again how much Hannah is like her mom. When we arrived home late after being together with some friends, I discovered that Nemo was no longer energetically swimming around his fish bowl. When I broke the news to Hannah that Nemo had died she burst into tears and cried quite hard for her little friend - I shed a couple tears with her...more so because of how broken-hearted she was. She asked through tears if she could keep him in a box on her dresser. After assuring her that Nemo wouldn't do well sitting in a box on her dresser long term (can you imagine?), we decided to give him a backyard burial. This is probably a good time to include a link to my previous entry entitled "Momo," which highlights just how much Hannah and I are alike. You can check it out at http://adashofthisandthat.blogspot.com/2009/03/momo.html
After searching high and low for just the right small box - Nemo had grown to be quite large so we had a hard time finding one that he would fit in. We finally decided on my Silpada watch box because Hannah liked the soft cotton in the bottom. She wrote I love you Nemo on the box and then we had to place him inside. I tried to do it, but in the end I had to call in a reinforcement... AKA Doug. Once Nemo was in the box, Hannah added a heart bead. We decided on just the right spot in the backyard (in the dark with a flashlight) and Doug buried him while we watched.
Then it was time to put a tired and emotional six year-old to bed...not an easy task. I asked which book she wanted to read, but she wanted to look at one of her photo albums instead - to make her think of happy times, she said. We looked at the photos and talked about them and about Nemo. She wondered if she could keep his bowl sitting on her dresser. I told her she could get another fish if she wanted and she countered with asking if we could get a kitten (way to work it, Hannah). Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats so that's not going to happen. She finally decided that she wanted to get another fish and then burst out crying and said, "I want a fish just like Nemo." I'm sure one of these days, we'll have Nemo II swimming around in Nemo's bowl. Until then, I have to admit that I miss hearing Nemo's little noises as he swam around and gobbled up air and water. Hannah's room seemed especially quiet when I snuggled with Hannah to get her to sleep. So long, Nemo.

After searching high and low for just the right small box - Nemo had grown to be quite large so we had a hard time finding one that he would fit in. We finally decided on my Silpada watch box because Hannah liked the soft cotton in the bottom. She wrote I love you Nemo on the box and then we had to place him inside. I tried to do it, but in the end I had to call in a reinforcement... AKA Doug. Once Nemo was in the box, Hannah added a heart bead. We decided on just the right spot in the backyard (in the dark with a flashlight) and Doug buried him while we watched.
Then it was time to put a tired and emotional six year-old to bed...not an easy task. I asked which book she wanted to read, but she wanted to look at one of her photo albums instead - to make her think of happy times, she said. We looked at the photos and talked about them and about Nemo. She wondered if she could keep his bowl sitting on her dresser. I told her she could get another fish if she wanted and she countered with asking if we could get a kitten (way to work it, Hannah). Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats so that's not going to happen. She finally decided that she wanted to get another fish and then burst out crying and said, "I want a fish just like Nemo." I'm sure one of these days, we'll have Nemo II swimming around in Nemo's bowl. Until then, I have to admit that I miss hearing Nemo's little noises as he swam around and gobbled up air and water. Hannah's room seemed especially quiet when I snuggled with Hannah to get her to sleep. So long, Nemo.


No comments:
Post a Comment