Monday, January 14, 2008

So Proud and So Humbled

Quite awhile ago my aunt Carol shared an expression that my Aunt Bev once told her... "Parenting will make you so proud and keep you so humble." That expression can sum up my day today. I'll cut right to the good stuff. :-) Ava had an awesome day. She walked the most she ever has - I think she's finally getting this walking thing down. She looks like a little drunken sailor; it's so cute. She is also talking more and more. She now says "uh oh and bye bye" often, "ta da," and "nigh night." Today she made her daddy so happy when she said "Da Da" to him on the phone. Lately she has been picking up the remote or phone, holding it up to her ear and babbling away, but when someone really calls and you give her the phone she just smiles at it and doesn't say anything. So, it was exciting when she finally talked to her daddy today!

Another favorite thing of hers is laying her head down on you or the floor and waiting for you to say "nigh night" and then picking up her head when you say "good morning" and grinning at you. This is such a fun age. She is learning new things every day (and she can't get mouthy and talk back). Which brings me to my humbling parental moment.

Today was not a good day for my dear 5 (going on 15) year old. I'm not sure if Hannah was overtired or just plain irritable. Yesterday was actually not much better... in fact, Doug and I dusted off our "Love and Logic" stuff and plan to delve back into it. Fortunately for him he had to work today so he missed out on my humbling afternoon. :-) I'll spare you all of the details, but here are a few. I was told "You aren't my bestest mom anymore," "I don't like you," "You're a mean Mommy," and "I only love Ava." I actually thought the last one was kind of sweet - at least she has a good bond with her new sister. :-)

It all started when I put her on a time-out for being mouthy and it went downhill from there. After her first time-out she came out of her room and got right to work creating something on a sheet of paper. I was happy to see her being so productive. When I asked her what it was she told me it was (I am now chuckling as I type this but it wasn't funny at the time) a "mean mommy chart" and every time I was naughty or mean she was going to put an X on it. Where does she come up with these things?! She went on several more time-outs as evening approached and had several of her toys or special things taken away. She just could not stop talking back and being mouthy, and she hated being on the time-outs so she kept kicking her door and yelling the things I listed above. Doug got the "are you coming home soon" phone call and Hannah ended up sitting in her room until he got home (more for me than her).

My mom would say this is a day "that brought me to my knees." Yes, Lord... you are keeping me very humble and showing me I need to rely on You. The ironic thing is that after everything she asked if I would read her a story and put her to bed tonight. Me... the meanest Mommy in the world!? :-)

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Love those proud and humbling moments as a parent! Sounds like Ava's development is exploding, how fun! Sorry to hear about Hannah's bad day. I too have been called mean mommy, I usually agree with him just for fun. Someday our little ones will see just how much we love them with our firm and consistent limits!