I love those moments when Hannah thinks I'm a genius... because they are few and far between since she already knows everything (ha!). Her kindergarten class is doing a library unit called "Read Around the House." Each week she brings home a different book and an activity to accompany the book. The other day she brought home the book
Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola. After reading it I asked if she would like to make the pancake recipe in the book, to which she replied, "Oh mom, that's not a real recipe." I assured her it was and that we could make it. After a brief discussion and much disbelief on her part, I told her we would try the recipe as an experiment. She was still a skeptic but agreed since she loves baking or cooking with me. Needless to say, I was right and the pancakes were delicious (we added chocolate chips which made them even better). Ava enjoyed them too. Afterwards, Hannah wondered how I had gotten to be so smart. Thirty-seven years of living, my dear! :-)
I guess this is a good spot to add another "Genius Mommy" story. I need to document these for Hannah to read someday so she'll remember that she once thought her mom was really smart. :-) Hannah often comes home singing praise songs she has learned in kindergarten. Her teacher is a very talented musician and loves music like I do. Hannah has come home singing classic songs like "Awesome God," "This is My Father's World," "How Majestic is Your Name" and others. She'll start singing exuberantly and I'll join in with her, which makes her look at me and wonder how I already know this "new" song she has learned. Recently when this happened again, she looked at me and said, "Mom, how do you know all these songs? Do you just go around to all the classrooms learning songs?"
No comments:
Post a Comment