Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fearless

As I prepare for my sugery on Monday, I am trying to be fearless. It is helping to read Max Lucado's new book called Fearless. A couple of my dearest friends and I are reading the book for different reasons, and we're all finding it to be helpful. Thank you, Kristin, for suggesting it.

I think so often in life we can get caught up with worries and fears - worries about financial security and job loss, fears of losing a child or loved one, worries about completing tasks, and fears about our health, to mention a few. It has been a good reminder for me to know that God does not want us to be afraid. More importantly, God does not want ME to be afraid...even of the uncertainty involved with my surgery.

I take great comfort in knowing that 21 times in the New Testament Jesus urges people to have courage and not be afraid. I especially love the story of Jesus sleeping peacefully on a boat while a terrible storm tosses the boat around and frightens everyone else on board. When He is awoken by his frightened disciples, he wonders what all the fuss is about and gently calms the storm. I find it reassuring to know that even Jesus' disciples were fearful, but most of all I find it comforting that Jesus wonders why they were afraid in the first place.

No matter what happens on Monday, I know one thing for sure...God will be with me calming my "storm" and gently taking my fears away. I pray that you too will be fearless in Christ as you encounter the "storms" in your lives. I love you all and appreciate your love and prayers!

No comments: