Friday, October 30, 2009

Hospital Reflections

I just reread my post from the night I came home from the hospital. I think I was more graphic than I should have been...I'll blame it on the vicodin I was taking at the time. Sorry if I made you groan. I did go back and edit a couple of things. :-)

My hospital stay seems like a distant memory now so I thought I'd post a few pictures and take a few moments to reflect on it. Since I was in the hospital for a week, I really got to know the nurses and the routines of each day. By the end of the week I would wake up at 5:30-6:00 a.m. in anticipation of early rounds - I grew to enjoy the early morning visits from the surgical resident, Dr. Neaman, and a medical student, Maysee, who will make an awesome doctor someday. For those of you who know me well know that this is pretty amazing since I'm usually such a night owl and not an early morning person. Once I came home I continued to wake up at that time for awhile, but fortunately I have now gotten past that.

I also enjoyed daily visits from my doctor, Dr. Rodriguez, who did an amazing job with my surgery. I especially enjoyed our chats that ranged in topics from adoption and parenting to Art Prize and good books. It was nice to get my mind on other things and I liked getting to know my doctor as a person. By the end of the week I felt like Dr. R. had become a friend.

Before my surgery I discovered that Dr. Rodriguez went to the same Christian school where Hannah goes. I also found out that one of his teachers was a dear lady who goes to our church. It is such a small world! I appreciated learning that my doctor is a Christian who believes that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made." It was such a comfort to go into surgery knowing I was in the hands of a surgeon who relied on guidance from the Divine Physician. On Wednesday, when Dr. Rodriguez joyfully gave us the news that all of the pathology reports came back negative for cancer, Doug and I were able to give praise and thanks to God with him. What a blessing!

There is so much more I could reflect on and write about but I'll limit it to two lists. One is the highlights I experienced during my hospital stay and the other is a list of less positive points or "lowlights" as I like to call them. I guess it's a good sign that my highlights list is much longer than my lowlights.

Highlights:
~hearing that all pathology reports were negative for cancer
~having my sister-in-law for a nurse in the recovery room
~visits and phone calls from friends and family
~receiving many cards and beautiful bouquets of flowers
~having Hannah and Ava visit and give gentle hugs and kisses
~Ava saying "Mommy's tummy broke"
~faithful visits from Doug and my parents
~being moved into a private room not in the construction zone
~the beautiful view from my 2nd room
~the excellent care I received from my nurses and doctors
~eating real food again...Cream of Wheat never tasted so good
~seeing my cousin Brian in his white doctor's coat - you looked good, Dr. P!


Lowlights:
~being in the hospital for almost 8 days
~eating only ice chips for 6 days
~starting the week in a room right by the construction zone
~my NG tube that had to stay in for 3 days
~moving to 3 different rooms
~heparin shots (I think I still have bruises)


Throughout the week, I appreciated the outpouring of love through visits, phone calls, beautiful flowers, thoughtful cards, and other heartfelt gestures. Doug, Hannah, Ava and I felt surrounded by the love of Christ. Thank you! We are so grateful for you, our faithful family and friends!

Some of the lovely flowers I received...they definitely brighted up my room

My second room looked out into the courtyard...it was nice to see some signs of fall

Ava like to call this "Mommy's car" - which makes sense since it does have a steering wheel of sorts. She loved to help me push it around when we went for walks. She would keep saying "faster, faster" and I would have to slow her down so I could keep up.

More than ready to go home!

The turtles came to greet me when I got home. Thanks, Stacy, they were adorable and delicious too!

No comments: