Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Countdown to Christmas

This year we tried something new as a way to celebrate advent. Thanks for the idea, Shelly! Each day we did some type of activity as a way to prepare our hearts and home for Christmas. Doug and I tried to come up with a variety of activities that would help our family celebrate this wonderful season together. Although many of the activities were lighthearted and fun, we also wanted our girls to focus on serving and loving others. Most importantly, we wanted our girls to remember that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas.

Keeping up with each of the daily activities made for a busy Advent season, but it was so worthwhile. There is nothing greater than watching your children learn and understand the true meaning of Christmas. This year was magical as we watched our 3 year old begin to grasp the basics of the Christmas story. Ava was obsessed with baby Jesus, "Merrly" (Mary), and "Jofef" (Joseph) and wanted to hear the story again and again. She can often be heard breaking into her rendition of Away in a Manger with motions or Jesus Loves Me, which she loves to sing exuberantly from her shopping cart perch to all who will listen as I push her through the grocery store. And when I say exuberantly, I mean EXUBERANTLY! I fight the urge to shush her but instead smile and let her sing at the top of her lungs...after all, she is witnessing to world. :-)

It was also magical to watch our 7 year old put others before herself this Christmas. Hannah has such a dear heart that can be so sensitive to the hurts and needs of others. She was so excited to do acts of love for other people this year. Helping to support a Burmese refugee family brought her and us so much joy. The discussions that stemmed from this support were priceless. She was indignant that people from Burma and anywhere in the world should be able to love and serve God how they want to. Touche, my dear!

This year when we visited Santa, Hannah couldn't think of anything she wanted - seriously. Santa seemed a little shocked and didn't quite know what to say. I'm sure he's used to children rattling off a list of items they want. Eventually he said, "How about if I surprise you?" and Hannah said, "Yeah, surprise me!" with a big grin. Later that week, while watching The Polar Express I asked Hannah if she could have anything in the world she wanted what would it be. Her magical response..."Good friendships."

I think we're ready for Christmas!

I found this great Advent house at Target.
Hannah and Ava took turns opening the little doors

Then we would read the activity for that day

One of our favorite activities was helping to support a Burmese refugee family

On a cold snowy Saturday we headed indoors to enjoy a warm greenhouse filled with beautiful poinsettias

Family picture time

Then we headed outside to pick out our tree

The girls loved helping decorate our tree. Hannah especially loves hearing the stories behind the ornaments

Ava loved hanging things low and in pairs. Don't ya just love her decorating outfit!?

We had fun making special handprint snowman ornaments to give away. Hannah did hers all by herself

Ava had a little help...okay, a lot of help from Mom

We baked a lot of cookies to give away as gifts

Even Ava was a big helper

Our favorite cookie baking was with Nana - we're so glad your feeling so much better this year!

Loving and spoiling Nana for her birthday

We took part in a cookie exchange and shared many of the sweets we made. We went caroling and brought some of them to neighbors

Saying hello to Santa -
this was the first year Ava didn't cry

Feeding a real reindeer

Enjoying special activities on a beautiful winter's day

"Mom, can I keep this on my face tomorrow for church?"
A new Christmas book for our collection

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Love celebrating Advent, especially with kids! Sounds like your family found some great ways to focus on Advent and the real meaning of Christmas!