Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hail to the Chief






It was just another ordinary summer day...until we heard that President Obama was coming to town. We quickly packed a picnic lunch and headed to the airport so we could watch Air Force One land. As we were approaching the airport, we saw this huge plane in the distance preparing to land. There was no mistaking it...the huge plane was Air Force One (if I could include music, I would interject a rousing rendition of "Hail to the Chief" right now). We pulled into a parking lot so we could watch it land. I quickly snapped a few pictures and then we headed to the other end of the airport where Marine One was waiting. We couldn't really see much, but it was exciting none the less. Pretty soon, we watched five helicopters take off. I really wished I had my old Fuji camera with the great zoom...instead I had my newer compact digital camera that did the best it could to capture the moment.

While we were watching the helicopters take off, we met two really sweet Chinese ladies. One had just arrived through some type of exchange program and the other lived nearby with her family. They loved meeting Hannah and Ava and I enjoyed chatting with them. Once the helicopters disappeared, we headed to a nearby park for a picnic lunch. If it were up to me, we would have headed back to watch the president take off again in the afternoon, but the girls were content to stay home and play with friends. Little did we realize that we didn't have to leave home to see Marine One again. We were inside the house and heard really loud helicopters. We ran outside in time to see Marine One and other military helicopters fly right over our house. So cool! Definitely a day we'll remember.

P.S. In case you couldn't tell, I cheated a bit and used a couple of pictures other people with super awesome cameras took. Can you tell which ones are mine? :-)

No comments: