Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Out With the Old...





Our beloved library closed. Sniff. Okay, it didn't actually close. It moved, but it my mind it closed. I'm sure the new library will be wonderful. More space, modern updates, yada yada yada. I'm still sad. I have been going to this library my whole life. When I was a child I would walk there often and bring home stacks and stacks of books. I was ecstatic when I became a mom and could take my own children there. The set up was still the same and it even smelled the same. I loved that smell becaused it would take me back to my childhood and my love of books - something I hope to pass along to my children. My love of books, not the library smell. :-)

On the last day our library was opened, I took my camera and the girls one last time. We checked out a huge stack of books, of course, and took several pictures. The pictures were more for my girls (really!) because the library will be forever pictured in my mind, along with so many fond memories. Okay, maybe I'm being a tad melodramatic, but I am still sad my favorite library closed. Now here's the comic relief. When we were checking out books, I said to the ladies, you must be sad this library is closing after so many years. They looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Oh no, the new library is going to be wonderful and it won't smell like this."

No comments: